Mobile Data - Do You Need More Data to Help You Study?
The government has launched a scheme to temporarily increase data allowances for mobile phone users on certain networks.
This scheme is in place so that children and young people can access remote education if their face-to-face education is disrupted.
Who can get help?
Harris Garrard Academy can request a mobile data increase for students who:
- do not have fixed broadband at home
- cannot afford additional data for their devices
- are experiencing disruption to their face-to-face education
Children with access to a mobile phone on one of the following networks might be able to benefit:
- BT Mobile
- Sky Mobile
- Tesco Mobile
- Virgin Mobile
When can you get help?
We can request a mobile data increase for eligible children whenever our Academy is closed as a result of Government C-19 guidance, or if a student is self-isolating.
We can also make requests for children who cannot attend school face-to-face because:
- they’re clinically extremely vulnerable
- restrictions prevent them from going to school.
How can you request a mobile data increase?
If you would like to request a mobile data increase, please contact the Academy by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
We will then send you a link to an online registration form. You will need to provide the following information:
- the name of the account holder
- the number of the mobile device (this should always start with ‘07’)
- the mobile network of that device (for example, Three/O2/EE/Vodafone)
- whether you are on a monthly contract or a Pay-as-you-go deal.
We need these details to arrange the increase in data with the relevant mobile network. Please note: Account holders with monthly contracts need to be over the age of 18.
How and when will I receive the data increase?
Each provider will vary in how quickly they process requests. Once a network provider has processed the data increase, they will send a text message directly to the account holder. This data can be used when tethering a mobile phone to another device for internet access, for example creating a hotspot.
Please note that this is a temporary data increase. The data increase will end at on the offer dates as stated below. The end date varies depending on your network provider. For more information see the ‘network offers’ section below.
Another option for increasing internet access
Some networks can’t offer data to Pay-as-you-go (PAYG) customers. If increasing mobile data isn’t a suitable option, for example your network is not listed below, we are able to request 4G wireless routers. Please email email@example.com for more information.
Those affected by the offer need to understand how the DFE will be using your personal information.
1. For the purposes of data protection, I need to let you know that the Department for Education (DfE) is running the Mobile Network Offer through schools and their trusts or local authorities.
2. If the offer is taken up by an adult account holder, the school or social care team will share the account holder’s name and mobile phone details with the DfE, who will share these with the relevant mobile network operator.
3. The mobile network operator will use that information to increase the data available for the account holder’s mobile device, as long as they qualify for the offer.
4. The adult account holder’s personal data is only shared with their mobile network operator for the purposes of the offer. No names of children or other adults, other than adult account holder, are shared with the DfE or the mobile network operator.
5. No personal information will be shared with the DfE if you do not want to take up the offer.
6. If you want to know more about how your personal information will be used before you take up the offer, we can send that to you first.
7. If you decide to take up the offer, you’ll get a text message from the Department for Education with more information about your data protection rights.
You can find out more information here: DFE privacy information
Please visit Get Internet Access for more Government information about internet access.