Character & Mindfulness
Character and Mindfulness at Harris Garrard Academy is taught across Key Stage 3. The purpose of the Character and Mindfulness Curriculum is to provide students with additional ‘life-lessons’ which are not necessarily delivered elsewhere.
The aim is to ensure that students develop their personal, social, emotional, spiritual, moral and cultural understanding and have the opportunity to discuss and debate these issues in a safe space.
Students are provided with a series of lessons dedicated to the holistic development of our children, so our students leave Harris Garrard Academy not only as high achieving academics, but also as reflective, self-aware, considerate and confident citizens.
There are a number of principles which underpin the Character and Mindfulness curriculum. These include:
- To support students to develop and demonstrate the Harris Garrard Academy Character Traits
- To provide contextual knowledge which enables learners to develop a positive sense of identity and belonging for themselves and others
- To enable learners to develop the necessary skills and knowledge to succeed at life in modern Britain including personal, social, health and economic education; careers education; citizenship education; and relationships, sex and health education
- To enable learners to understand and reflect on aspects of positive citizenship and consider their roles and responsibilities as members of an Academy community, local community, and global community
- To support students to develop skills that allow them to independently focus on their holistic development, whilst they are learners at our Academy and as they move through adulthood.
For further details of the Character and Wellbeing curriculum please contact Samretta Greywoode S.Greywoode@harrisgarrard.org.uk.
Full details of the intent, implementation and impact of our Character and Mindfulness curriculum are contained in our curriculum plan, downloadable from the bottom of the page.
View/download medium term plans for all subjects. These are up to date as of 1st September 2021. Plans will be refreshed every term.
You can also download Knowledge Organisers for each year group from our Knowledge Organisers page.