Posted on July 17th 2018
Letter to Parents - End of Term 2018
It is a pleasure to write to you at the end of our first year as Harris Garrard Academy. The remarkable pace of change and the dedication of our staff and students have ensured that our first year has been truly awe-inspiring. The academy is characterised by the highest expectations of staff and students alike. As a result, we are quickly realising our motto, ‘Learning Changes Lives’.
I would like to share with you some of the many highlights and achievements from this term:
- The academy was officially opened by Lord Harris of Peckham
- Our Year 6 students achieved impressive results in their Key Stage 2 SATS, achieving considerably higher than the national average and representing a 25% increase on the results of the predecessor school
- All students participated in our inaugural all-through Sports Day, which culminated in a relay race involving students in every year group from EYFS to the Sixth Form
- Over two hundred Year 6 students attended our induction day for entry into Year 7 in September 2018. This included forty-eight of our own Year 6 students
- Many students in the secondary phase attended our inaugural Awards Evenings
- Every Year 13 student who submitted a UCAS application has received a university offer
Please can I draw your attention to the following announcements:
End of Term
The final day of the summer term is Thursday 19th July. All phases of the Academy will be closing early on this day, with students being dismissed from 12:30.
To ensure the smoothest possible start to the new academic year, please re-familiarise yourself with our Uniform and Equipment Policy. This can be downloaded from the academy’s website. In particular, please be reminded that:
- overly-styled haircuts are not permitted
- hair should be a natural colour only and no decorative attachments, braids or extensions are permitted
- tramlines or shapes must not be shaved into the hair or eyebrows
- fake tan and make-up are not permitted
- no piercings are permitted
- the only acceptable footwear is black leather-fronted school shoes. Coloured laces and stitching are not allowed. Coloured tags (e.g. Kickers) are not allowed
- coats must be plain black or navy blue, with only discrete logos permitted
- any non-uniform items (including jewellery, mobile phones and hoodies) will be confiscated and returned at the end of the half term
Our all-through curriculum
Developing our all-through curriculum will be an important focus for next year. Some key features of this will be as follows:
- Students in Years 3, 4 and 5 will have weekly art, product design and food technology lessons in the secondary phase, delivered by subject specialists
- To prepare Year 6 students for the transition to our secondary phase, their afternoon lessons will take place in the secondary building each day and will be delivered by subject specialists across a broad range of subjects
- All Year 7 maths classes will have one period a week delivered by a primary trained teacher. This will support transition from Year 6 to Year 7 and ensure that teaching builds on prior learning
- A comprehensive co-curricular programme will be introduced, consisting of a wide range of clubs and activities. Many of these will be open to students from all phases of the academy
- All students, from every phase in the academy, will participate in a programme of six Character Days across the year. These days will include a range of educational visits, cross-curricular competitions and workshops delivered by guest speakers
Changes in the secondary phase for 2018-19
Although most structures, policies and procedures will remain the same next year, please note the following amendments that will take effect from September 2018:
- Year 10 will attend Period 6 every Tuesday. Year 11 students will attend Period 6 every Tuesday and Wednesday. Students will be dismissed at 16:10 on these days, unless they are staying for intervention afterwards.
- The only PE bag that will be allowed will be the navy blue Harris drawstring bag, emblazoned with the academy logo. Students in Years 7 to 10 will be provided with one of these bags this week. No other sports bags or holdalls will be allowed.
- Non-regulation items that are banned in the academy (e.g. mobile phones, jewellery and hoodies) will also be confiscated if they are seen near the primary phase at any time, including when secondary students are collecting younger siblings.
- Any student that arrives at the academy late will sit a same-day Late Detention on every occasion, and also sit a Leadership Team Detention (until 17:00 on Friday) on every third occasion of lateness.
Year 11 Summer Projects
All Year 10 students have been given a Summer Project to complete over the holidays, in preparation for starting Year 11. For every subject, the project requires consolidation of prior learning and preparatory work for the year ahead. Please ensure that your child devotes substantial time to completing the project work, as it will provide students with the best possible foundations for success in Year 11.
Start of Autumn Term 2018
Students return to the academy on the following dates in September:
- EYFS: Staggered start, as communicated separately
- Years 1 to 6: Wednesday 5th September @ 08:50
- Years 7 and 11: Wednesday 5th September @ 08:30
- Years 8, 9 and 10: Thursday 6th September @ 08:30
- Years 12 and 13: Friday 7th September @ 08:30
Finally, I wish you a safe, relaxing and enjoyable summer. I look forward to welcoming students at the gate on the first day back in September.
Mr. D Smith
Head of Academy