Reopening in September - Latest Information for Parents
Over the last few weeks we have been developing a plan to reopen the Academy both safely and sustainably, as we move towards September.
You will have heard lots of information and opinions on all news outlets recently, so I have detailed below the facts and our plan to move forward.
- The Academy will reopen to students in all year groups in September
- Students must return to their compulsory education
- We shall be placing groups of students into ‘bubbles’ in all phases to reduce the risk of transmission
- Students will continue to study a broad and balanced curriculum, as you would expect from HGA
- Students will return in full academy uniform, including academy bag
We have taken steps to ensure that the Academy is a COVID secure workplace for staff and students and the safety of our community remains a top priority. We implemented the following:
- We have implemented new hygiene rules and hand washing routines for students
- Extensive and advanced thorough cleaning of the Academy, using strong cleaning products such as bleach
- Floor markings to help students recognise what a safe distance is from each other
- A staggered start to the Academy day, staggered breaks and lunch times, to reduce contact with others
- Reduction in the number of visitors to the Academy
The following outlines what students must do while at the Academy:
- Arrive to the Academy at your allocated time only
- Students will wash hands before entering the academy building
- Students will wash hands before eating
- Students are to remain in their bubble at all times
- Maintain social distancing where appropriate and able
- Students will avoid using shops before or after school
I have also amended the mobile phone policy whilst students are at the Academy. We operate a ‘not seen and not heard’ system, so that students are able to carry mobile phones at the Academy in readiness for an NHS Track and Trace App to help control the virus.
A detailed and personalised programme was been sent to parents. Please review this carefully paying close attention to the start and end time for your child’s year group, if you choose to meet them at the end of the day. We do ask for your support at the end of the school day if you are picking your child up, in ensuring that you do not wait outside the Academy, which would prevent students and staff from social distancing from yourselves and each other.
Staggered start of term
We also plan to open the Academy in a more staggered way than you would normally expect, so that we can have time with smaller numbers of students, to give them an induction on the new rules and also to enable us to support them more effectively, as they return after many months of not being in school.
Secondary and Sixth Form students will have a staggered start as follows:
- Years 7 and 12 only: Thursday 3rd September
- Years 10, 11 and 13 return 7 and 12 in as normal: Friday 4th September
- Years 8 and 9 return 7, 10, 11, 12 and 13 in as normal: Monday 7th September
- Full Secondary Phase Opening: Tuesday 8th September
A home-learning booklet has been sent to parents, designed as part of our recovery curriculum. The booklet should be completed over the summer break and will support students’ preparations for a return to the full curriculum in September.
As always, and particularly through these challenging times, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us should have any questions or feel we can support in any way.
Mr Steve West
Head of Academy